At a Glance
The finer details
This training course has been developed to help you understand how to operate a 360˚ tracked excavator safely.
The amount of instruction you will require will depend largely upon your previous experience and sessions will be adapted to meet your needs. Course duration will depend on experience and will be from one to four days.
The training course will consist of theory and practical sessions, followed by assessment. Course sessions include:
- Plant Safety and the Law
- Machine Knowledge and Preparation for Work
- Travelling and Manoeuvring the Machine
- Machine Operation
- Excavators used as cranes (optional)
- Theory Assessment
- Practical Assessment.
If successful in meeting the required standards assessed, you will be awarded a certificate of competence and a Lantra skills ID card for your chosen certificate option.
Who should attend?
This course is for you if you need to become proficient in safely operating a 360˚ tracked excavator.
As you’ll appreciate, this course contains some practical activity that will require a minimum level of fitness. If you have any concerns, please speak to the Provider.
What will be covered?
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the key requirements of health, safety and environmental legislation
- Interpret and comply with drawings, specifications, schedules, risk assessments and manufacturer’s operator’s manuals (MOM) related to the plant or machinery operations and the work to be carried out
- Identify the hazards associated with plant or machinery operations and put the appropriate control measures in place
- Identify and explain the purpose of machine components and operator controls
- Conduct all operational and pre-start checks
- Prepare the excavator for site and highway travel
- Drive the excavator safely over varying types of terrain
- Operate the excavator safely in restricted spaces
- Prepare the machine and bucket to excavate
- Demonstrate how to attach and remove different types of buckets and ancillaries safely
- Select the appropriate techniques to perform essential tasks
- Operate plant and machinery to excavate ground and loose materials to given work instructions
- Perform excavation activities in a variety of soil types
- Demonstrate how to place spoil into transporting vehicles safely
- Demonstrate how to grade, spread and level different types of material
- Demonstrate how to lift basic suspended loads with the excavator in set configuration(s)
- Shut down and secure plant or machinery
- Describe the procedures used for loading and unloading excavators when transported on a trailer.