At a Glance
There are no pre-course requisites, provided that Learners meet the minimum age requirements according to Health and Safety Executive (HSE) Approved Code of Practice L117: ‘Rider-operated lift trucks: Operator training’.
The finer details
This training course has been developed to help you understand how to operate a counterbalance lift truck safely.
The amount of instruction you will require will depend largely upon your previous experience and sessions will be adapted to meet your needs. Course duration will depend on experience and will be from one to four days.
The training course will consist of theory and practical sessions, followed by assessment. Course sessions include:
- Lift Truck Safety and the Law
- Common Areas of Maintenance and Pre-start Checks
- Start, Stop and Basic Manoeuvring
- Operating with Pallets and Loads Appendices (as relevant)
- Theory Assessment
- Practical Assessment.
If successful in meeting the required standards assessed, you will be awarded a certificate of competence and a Lantra skills ID card for your chosen certificate option.
Who should attend?
This course is for you if you need to become proficient in safely operating a counterbalance lift truck.
As you’ll appreciate, this course contains some practical activity that will require a minimum level of fitness. If you have any concerns, please speak to the Provider.
What will be covered?
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Prepare the various lift trucks for driving or manoeuvring by:
- Having site safety awareness
- Identifying basic construction and components, and the purpose and use of all controls and gauges
- Identifying and complying with the manufacturer’s operator’s manual (MOM) and other information sources, such as rating plates and applicable regulations
- Carrying out all pre-use and running checks
- Configuring the lift truck for travel
- Placing the lift truck in an out-of-service condition.
- Operate, move or manoeuvre the lift trucks:
- Both with and without a load
- In confined areas using forward and reverse direction, with and without a load.
- Select, transfer and position loads using a lift truck by:
- Setting up the lift truck in order to lift various loads
- Lifting various loads within the full working range of the lift truck
- Ensuring load integrity and security
- Transporting loads
- Placing and retrieving loads accurately at various places
- Placing and retrieving loads from a vehicle bed or trailer
- Keeping within safe working parameters
- Operating with bulk loads
- Explaining the loading and unloading procedure, on and off a transporter.
- Load and unload a container, vehicle, vessel or craft using a reach lift truck
- Place and retrieve loads from a vehicle bed or trailer
- Undertake post-operational checks on a lift truck.